The type of broom you use on your laminate flooring can significantly impact how quickly it gets clean. The material that the bristles are made from is extremely important, as well as the shape and size of the head. There are different types of brooms to choose from, so let’s take a look at what they include and which one would be best for you.
Factors to consider when choosing a broom
Here is a list of features and other essential characteristics to consider when choosing a broom for swiping laminate floors:
Types of brooms
There are many distinct types of brooms available, including:
Push brooms – This type features a flat head on a long handle. They are best used on hard surfaces such as driveways, sidewalks, and other outdoor areas.
Electric brooms – This type of broom is battery operated, with various heads that can be changed depending on the area you need to clean. They are incredibly convenient because they don’t require a cord and are lightweight.
Hand brooms – This type of broom is a handle with bristles that can be used to sweep dust, dirt, or debris from hard-to-reach places such as corners or ceilings.
Whisk broom – This type of broom is for use on smooth surfaces such as tiles and laminate floors. It is very similar in design to a feather duster, although it features bristles instead of feathers.
Since you’re reading this, you likely need to clean your laminate floors with a broom and mop. Check this article to find the best broom and mop for laminate floors.
The bristles will play a big part in how well the broom works. The material they are made from should be considered carefully before making your purchase, as different bristle types each have their own unique qualities.
- Fir bristles are soft and highly durable. For this reason, they are often used on higher-end brooms to ensure they keep their shape and don’t lose their bristles.
- Pine is a strong yet flexible material, so it will help get rid of dirt and debris with ease. It also can soak up liquids such as water or shampoo without leaking them all over your flooring.
- Nylon bristles are great for scrubbing away any dirt or grime that may have settled into grooves or grout. They are also long-lasting, which makes them a good investment for those who sweep their floors regularly.
- A combination of nylon and fir bristles is the best choice if you want to use your broom on laminate wood floors. The mixture ensures that you have all the qualities of both materials.
- The synthetic bristle is quickly becoming more popular, as it allows you to sweep up fine dust without scratching or damaging your flooring. However, these bristles are not very durable, so they will need replacing fairly regularly.
- The boar bristle can be extremely useful for scrubbing away any stubborn stains or marks. They are also stiff enough to pick up larger pieces of dirt, so they can be a breeze to use when sweeping your floors.
- The wire-bristle is often used on brooms that require a lot of scrubbing power, such as oven cleaners or floor buffers. These bristles will not damage your laminate wood flooring, but they will make short work of any marks or dirt on your floor.
- The rubber bristle broom is best for sweeping up wet messes such as water spillages. They are also suitable for picking up tiny grains of sand or ash, which can get stuck between tiles or polished surfaces.
The handle is also another essential factor to consider. It should be made from natural wood, as this will stand up better against wear and tear. Wood handles are also more durable than plastic ones, which can sometimes start to crack over time. Metal handle brooms can also be used, although generally, they are not ideal for heavy-duty tasks.
Choosing the right size broom can also make a big difference to how well it sweeps, and there are certain things you should take into consideration when making this decision.
- A short-handled broom is usually more lightweight and easier to hold for long periods. However, these will not give you as much leverage if you need to scrub harder at any stubborn marks.
- A long-handled broom is usually more effective at picking up large debris without the need to bend down or get too close to the floor. You’ll also have greater control over where you are sweeping, making them perfect for getting into crevices and under furniture.
When choosing the right broom, you’ll need to look at how wide it is. The width of the head will determine what you can clean with it – so make sure you know exactly what job you want your broom for before you invest in one.
The head is the part of the broom that connects to the rest of it, usually made from plastic or wood. It’s also where you’ll find the bristles attached.
- The solid plastic head is lightweight and comes with a flexible neck that can pivot in any direction. These are popular due to their ability to withstand high impact, and they are great for scrubbing. However, if you drop them from a height, it could damage the head – which could lead to bristles breaking off or becoming loose.
- The solid wood broom is often considered one of the best options, as it’s incredibly durable and will not splinter or break easily.
The shape of your broom should also be considered before making a purchase, as the different types can be very effective at tackling specific messes.
- A flat broom is perfect for sweeping small pieces of debris out of grooves or narrow gaps. They are also great for cleaning dust under furniture, as they can get into small areas without causing too much disruption.
- A square or angled broom is perfect for removing larger debris and dust from your surfaces. They are also more effective at picking up dirt on tiles, making them a popular choice among floor cleaners.
- A push broom is ideal for removing larger debris such as leaves and twigs. They are also great at cleaning wet messes, making them a popular choice for use in garages and other workspaces.
- A hand or round brush broom is often considered one of the best options for collecting pieces of dirt, dust, and grit in one place. They are perfect at picking up small particles without them escaping or being moved elsewhere.
The weight of the broom head will determine how much force you need to apply when sweeping, as well as how long it can be used for.
- A lightweight broom is often very easy to lift but can be less effective than a heavier one due to the lack of power behind the movement. This type of broom is often best for indoor cleaning or when you don’t need to reach very far with it.
- A heavy-duty broom is usually very sturdy and can be used for a long time without any issues. They are often better for exterior use, as they can cope with more significant amounts of force than a lightweight head.
- A hybrid broom is usually the best option for those looking to use their broom for different purposes. They are lightweight enough to sweep inside and heavy-duty enough to tackle tough outdoor jobs.
A dustpan is a separate part of a broom set, often sold alongside the head. The pan attaches to the back of the head and collects any dust, dirt, or debris that is swept up by the broom head.
- A pan with a higher spout will be more effective at tackling more significant amounts of dirt and debris, while a lower spout will be better for collecting dust and small bits of waste.
- A pivoting pan head will usually swivel from side to side as it collects the waste, which makes for a more thorough sweep.
A non-slip foot on the pan’s base will help keep it in place when you are using it.
In summary, laminate floor cleaning is a challenging task that needs a good broom for cleaning. Just pick the right one according to your need and use it with care. Follow the tips mentioned above and enjoy your clean home.