Do steam mops damage tile floors? A lot of people do not think that they do, but the answer is “it depends.” Many of the steam mop models on the market today are designed to be used exclusively on Tiles or hardwood or laminate flooring because they do not produce enough vapor to effectively clean grout and other porous surfaces. However, there are some models that can be used safely on tile floors, so long as you follow all directions carefully for use and care.
In this blog post, we will go over all of the information about using a steam cleaner on your floors and provide some tips for how to make sure it does not ruin them!
- The Best Shark Steam Mop For Tile Floors
- Bissell Powerfresh Steam Mop(1940) Reviews
- Is Steaming Floor Better Than Mopping?
- Can You Use A Steam Mop On Vinyl Flooring?
- Best Steam Cleaner For Sanitizing Your Home And Car
Do Steam Mops Damage Tile Floors?
The short answer is yes, steam mops can damage tile floors.
Steam mops can cause damage to stone floors – tile, marble, or granite. The reason for the damage is not mainly from the droplets of water but from the steam as this deteriorates and cracks stone floors due to thermal expansion and contraction forces causing minute movements between soluble components in the stone’s structure which leads to increased surface craquelure.
Also, The hot steam damages the grout by loosening it and opening up air pockets that then trap dirt. Be sure to look for a tile-friendly option, or just use rugs whenever possible where applicable.
Older tile is more sensitive to this type of damage because more times than not modern tiles are of higher quality. Modern tiled floors are made of materials like marble, granite, slate, or other similar types of stone which protect them somewhat from these types of damages caused by steam mops
The long answer, however… A commercial-grade steam cleaner with an attachment for scrubbing will usually do a satisfactory job of cleaning tile floors without damaging them. But many home depot style models are not capable of producing enough pressure to clean effectively and may cause some early wear on your floor tiles.
Home portable steamers are ideal because they are easy to use, safe for the user, produce high heat, have instant heat-up time, and cool downtime. If you’re worried about using a steamer or anything that produces water droplets on your floor it would be recommended caution in doing so at least until you know what brands work best for you
How Can A Steam Mop Damage My Tile Floor?
There are many reasons to damage tiles floor when you clean the floor with a steam mop.
1. High heat: Tile floors become damaged with steam mops because of high heat. This type of heat can cause tile grout to melt and stain the surface, leading to irreversible damage. Because it’s a liquid without solids for mop head attachments, you have nothing against which it can scrub so one lift is all you get before disposing in liquid form of germs and dirt on your floor. Any liquid spills will not mop up easily.
2. Using Chemical Cleaners: If you use chemicals cleaner with a steam mop, it can cause damage to the tile floor. Do not use any chemical cleaners with your steam mop that are not recommended with the steam mop.
Some chemicals are corrosive and they can also ruin or corrode metal parts of a steam cleaner, causing it to break down faster than expected. Also, Some chemicals can weak your tiles floors. In General, water is enough to use in the steam mop as heat can kill some bacteria. Do not use any chemicals.
3. Frequent steam mop usages: Do not use steam mops too frequently. Do it once every month or two weeks to avoid damage caused by frequent usage of the steam cleaner, which can also lead to water damage if you are using your mop in a wet area like the bathroom.
Do only when absolutely necessary and clean up right after each time you do so that there is no chance of water damage. Do not overuse the steam mop. Do it only when you need to, like after spillages or if your floors look visibly dirty (don’t wait for them to be).
4. Leaving water to stand: Do not leave the water to stand on the floor for too long. If you keep water long time on the floor, it may soften the adhesive of the tiles.
Then steam water could damage the tiles. So, Do it right away after using your mop and make sure you dry up excess moisture with a cloth or towel if needed, before leaving floors exposed overnight to avoid any damage due to dampness.
Why use the power of steam mop?
Steam cleaners are the most powerful cleaning method, capable of killing over 99.99% of all bacteria without using any chemicals, according to recent research.
Steam cleaners use less water than other methods, which means it is more efficient and environmentally friendly.
Environmentally friendly steam mop saves your money on both the initial investment and the cost for electricity to run a conventional cleaner. It is also more effective than other cleaners at removing tough stains, bed bugs, dust mites and mold.
Aside from its many environmental benefits, the power of steam cleans without harsh chemicals that can irritate your skin (and your lungs). It sanitizes with heat that destroys bacteria – not only killing these pathogens but even more importantly killing their DNA so that future generations can’t develop resistance or re-infect you once they’ve been killed off. And it’s completely odorless!
A steam mop is an easy to use appliance that will clean your floors thoroughly and quickly.
If you are considering using a steam mop to clean your tile floors, it is important to know that they do not cause damage. Steam cleaners use water and heat to loosen dirt from surfaces which mean there is no scrubbing involved in the process. The only thing that may get damaged by this type of cleaning technique is the grout between tiles or any smudges on them since these cannot be removed during the steaming process. Overall, if you want an easy way to keep tile flooring looking pristine without much effort then a steam cleaner might be right for you!